Finding the best wood burning tool is key to your success with the art and craft of woodburning.
Wood burning or pyrography is considered niche woodcraft. Many people learn this skill in shop classes. For some, it remains a recreational activity that fulfills their artistic needs. For others, it transforms into a profession. A wood-burning tool is at the center of pyrography, whether you are doing it for fun or for a living.
If you are looking for the best wood burning tool online, you have landed at the right place. We are going to review some of the best wood burning tools and kits available in the market right now. Make sure to read to the end of our article for some great tips, tutorials and FAQ. Our number one overall pick is the Walnut Hollow Creative Versa.
Jump Ahead To:
In a hurry and don’t have the time to skim through the entire article? Check out our 21 of the best wood burning tools and kits for pyrography.
- Walnut Hollow Creative Versa with Versa Variable Temperature Control & 11 Points <<Best Overall
- TRUart Wood and Leather Pyrography Tool
- Walnut Hollow Creative Woodburner <<Best For Beginners
- PETUOL 82 PCS Wood Burning Toolkit
- Walnut Hollow 41992 Creative Woodburner Wire Tip Wood Burning Tool <<Best For Wire Shading
- Kuman Wood 98Pcs Professional Wood Burning Tools
- HOTOOLME 77PCS Wood Burning Kit
- LadyRosian 102 PCS Wood Burning Kit
- SE Wood Burning Pen WP30
- JAZIPO 80Pcs Wood Burning Kit
- Aicazeron Professional Wood Burning Pen <<Best Chemical Wood Burning Tool
- AsiFancy 50Pcs Wood Burning Pyrography Pen Kit
- Foxgro Wood Burning Kit
- MBQMBSS 42pcs Pyrography Tool Set
- 5ARTH Wood Burning Pen
- Aicazeron Wood Burning Pen
- . Hi-Spec 30W Wood Burning Pyrography Kit
- Number-one Wood Burning Kit 48Pcs
- Kalawen 106 PCS Wood Burning Kit
- Ockered 52 PCS Wood Burning Kit
- SREMTCH Wood Burning Kit
Our in-depth reviews of the Best Wood Burning Tools for Pyrography
Walnut Hollow is one of the leading manufacturers of wood-burning tools, and its Versa tool is one of the best on the block. The wood-burning tool/pen features a comfortable grip so you can do long sessions of pyrography without straining your hand. Also, it comes with 11 different tip/points to facilitate different pyrography techniques.
It also features a temperature regulator that lets you set the heat up to 950 Fahrenheit in line with the material and the technique you are using.
- Comes with shading, tampered, and calligraphy points— a total of 11 interchangeable tips
- Lead-free solder
- Also works on leather, synthetic fabric, plastic and ceramics
Our rating: 100%
2. TRUart Wood and Leather Pyrography Tool – Equally Good for Leather and Wood
All those looking for a wood-burning tool that is equally good on leather, they should consider buying this TRUart device. It is a mini barrel iron that you can easily maneuver. It is also comfortable to hold, so you don’t develop hand cramps after holding it for too long. If it had a temperature control feature, this would have been our number one pick.
It features a dual power mode. At a lower power setting (15w), you can use it on leather. At higher power (30w), it works perfectly on all types of woods. You can also use it as a soldering iron because it also comes with a soldering tip.
- Comes with 21 different types of tips
- Features rubber handle for a comfortable grip and precise movement
- Also available in 35 tip kits
- Highly rated by owners
Our rating: 98%
3. Walnut Hollow Creative Woodburner– Best for Beginners
For all those who have just started pyrography and still getting accustomed to the craft, this Walnut Hollow Woodburner is a custom-made tool. The manufacturer has kept the toolkit simple and the burning iron easy to use.
It comes with four essential tips, including universal, shading, cone, and flow, so aspiring crafters can reinforce their pyrography basics. It works at the same temperature continuously, so beginner users don’t have to stress over temperature adjustments. The price reflects that.
- Features a heat shield for hands protection
- Comes with 4 screw-in points
- Budget priced
- Can be used as a back-up pen for professional pyrographers
Our rating: 98%
4. PETUOL 82 PCS Wood Burning Toolkit– Best for Carving, Embossing, and Soldering
This wood-burning Toolkit is a complete package for people looking for a single kit for their woodcraft requirements. It comes with burning, carving, and embossing tip sets. You also get a set of stencils and color pencils that make sure you don’t have to purchase anything for your woodwork outside of the kit.
It features a state-of-the-art ceramic heating element that ensures the iron attains its highest temperature within 15 seconds.
- Also includes carbon papers, blades and hot knife chucks
- Operate in the temperature range: 392-842 Fahrenheit
- Well rated by users
- Equally good for leather carving and as a soldering board
Our rating: 97%
5. Walnut Hollow 41992 Creative Woodburner Wire Tip Wood Burning Tool– Best for Rounded Shading
This is another affordable yet top-of-the-line wood burning tool by Walnut Hollow. It comes with four wood-burning tips, including ball point, universal point, standard drawing point, and rounded shaded point. The burning pen can attain up to 1,000 Fahrenheit, which means it can easily work on all sorts of timber.
It also comes with tweezers so you can remove and replace the tips without hurting yourself and without warping and twisting the delicate metallic tip frames.
- Good value for money
- Comes with 4 quick-change points
- Graphite transfer paper and pen stand also comes with the kit
Our rating: 95%
6. Kuman Wood 98Pcs Professional Wood Burning Tools– A Complete Wood Burning Toolkit
From square woods to color pencils and tracing paper— Kuman has put up a wood-burning toolkit that includes everything for your woodcraft requirements. This toolkit includes 54 different wood burning tips, 18 color pencils, 10 carbon papers, 3 square planks of wood, and 7 stencils.
The burning/soldering pen in the kit features a protective tube and a heat-resistant rubber sleeve to ensure risk-free crafting. It also features a temperature indicator so you can adjust it in line with the material and technique you are using.
- Comes with copper lead-free tips
- Heat-resistant safety gloves are also included
- Also suitable for leather craft, cutting foam pumpkins and plastic
Our rating: 95%
7. HOTOOLME 77PCS Wood Burning Kit– Best for Image Transfer
If you are looking for a single toolkit for wood burning, soldering, and leather crafting, then this product by HOTOOLME is worth considering. This 77-piece wood-burning toolkit comes with 17 burning and soldering tips, 13 wood carving tips, and 5 wood embossing tips.
Two hot knife chucks and blades are also given for precision foam and plastic cutting. You can also use the pyrography pen for image transfer and stencil cutting on wood and leather.
- Includes 18 color pencils and 10 carbon papers
- 15-second heating element
- Comes with seven stencils and a carrying case
Our rating: 95%
8. LadyRosian 102 PCS Wood Burning Kit -Most Accessories
With 102 pieces, this wood burning toolkit is one of the most assorted kits on our list. It comes with 53 tips designed for wood-burning, embossing, and soldering. The heating pen has a well-thought-out design. It features a temperature regulator as well as a rubber grip for convenient and safe use.
This LadyRosian Wood Burning Kit is an ideal gift for both beginners and professional pyrographers.
- Comes with three thin wooden boards
- 18 color pencils, 10 carbon papers, and 12 stencils— easy and colorful designing
- Great value for money
Our rating: 93%
9. SE Wood Burning Pen WP30– Best for Wood Chiseling
If you are looking to burn, cut, and chisel wood in an artistic manner, then consider buying this wood-burning pen by SE. You can also use it to melt and solder the metallic materials. The pen comes with six interchangeable tips that include two brass wood burning tips, two steel soldering tips, one chiseled tip, and one hot razor blade.
You can also use wood-burning shape tips with the pen to directly transfer images on the wooden boards. The pen doesn’t consume too much energy but delivers consistent and smooth burning and soldering.
- Comes with stencils and a pen stand
- Energy-efficient iron/pen— operates at only 25 watts
- Also includes hot knife and collet
Our rating: 93%
10. JAZIPO 80Pcs Wood Burning Kit— Best for Pyrography Stamping
This wood-burning kit by JAZIPO is another good option for those looking to buy their pyrography supplies in one go. It includes a wide range of wood-burning and embossing tips along with graphic templates, carbon papers, color pencils, and a paintbrush.
The shape of the pyrography pen is ergonomic and features an easy-grip for users. It also has an LED indicator that glows with more intensity as you increase the iron’s temperature.
- Also includes shape-containing tips (star, heart, symbols, etc.)
- Comes in a handy zippered-wallet— safe and easy to carry
- A great bang for the buck
- Well rated by owners
Our rating: 92%
11. Aicazeron Professional Wood Burning Pen– Best Chemical Wood Burning Tool
If you are looking to draw precision pyrography designs, then this tool of the size and shape of a marker is worth considering. This Aicazeron wood-burning marker works with a chemical instead of a heating element. You need to sand the wood with 220-grit sandpaper first and then draw the design with this marker on it.
Then use a heat gun on the drawn shape and pattern until you get the desired pyrography results. The nib of this chemical wood-burning pen is reversible. This means you can use it in both round and pointed configurations.
- Non-toxic and easy to use
- Easy to carry
- Works on all types of woods
Our rating: 92%
12. AsiFancy 50Pcs Wood Burning Pyrography Pen Kit– Best for Gourd Carving
This is a top-quality wood-burning pen that features internal ceramic heater core technology where you get the required temperature rise in no time. The shape of the pen is also worth mentioning. It is sleek and lightweight and feels as if you are holding a regular pen.
Apart from wood, you can also use it on leather and gourd.
- Comes with 34 wood-burning tips and 7 stencils
- Comes in a carry case
- Ideally good for hobbyists and professionals
Our rating: 90%
13. Foxgro Wood Burning Kit– The Safest Burning Tool
Foxgro Wood Burning Kit is a 79-piece toolkit that includes assortments of wood-burning and soldering tips. Whether its woodcraft, leather embossing, or repairing old motherboards, you can use this pyrography pen set for all your DIY projects.
The construction of the Foxgro pyrography pen deserves a special mention. It is a sleekly designed pen that users can easily hold without pulling hand muscles. It features a protective tube for tips and also a heat-resistant Bakelite thread head, so your fingers don’t slip and touch the heated tips.
- Features 60-watt inner-heat ceramic technology
- Comes with 41 assorted burning and soldering tips
- The pen features 5-foot long power cord
Our rating: 90%
14. MBQMBSS 42pcs Pyrography Tool Set– The Quickest-to-Heat Burning Tool
This 42-piece wood-burning toolset by MBQMBSS is suitable for all those people who are just starting out on the pyrographic woodwork. The kit has 28 assorted soldering and burning tips that also includes shape-embossing ones.
The pyrographic pen feature buttons to control the temperature up to 896 Fahrenheit. An LCD screen on the pen also displays the temperature.
- Quickest to heat— takes only 8 seconds to attain the desired temperature
- Ergonomic pen design
- Comes in a carrying case
Our rating: 90%
15. 5ARTH Wood Burning Pen– Best for Precision Use
This is another chemical wood burning tool that ensures precise drawing and safe heat-free use. The manufacturer has kept the pen’s shape simple and similar to that of regular highlighting and drawing markers. Like any other chemical burning tool, you need to first sand the wooden block you are working on.
After drawing the design, you need to heat it with a heat gun at 350 Fahrenheit until the pyrographic design appears on the block. If you don’t have a heat gun, you can also use an oven to heat the drawn design.
- Works best on basswood, poplar, aspen, walnut, and birch
- Non-toxic, safe to use
- Ideal for crafting complex and detailed patterns
Our rating: 90%
16. Aicazeron Wood Burning Pen – Best for Lightweight Crafting
If you find regular wood-burning tools difficult to use, then this is another chemical alternative for you. This Aicazeron wood-burning pen marker also contains a chemical that you can use as ink to draw patterns on the wood. You can then imprint those designs forever by treating them with a heat pen on 375 Fahrenheit.
Like the earlier reviewed Aicazeron wood-burning pen, this one also features a reversible nib that you can use in circular and oblique configurations. The chemical used in the marker is non-toxic and doesn’t have a harsh reaction on the skin either.
- Ideal for lightweight crafting
- Offers time-saving iron pyrography alternative
- Uses hazard-free chemical
Our rating: 90%
17. Hi-Spec 30W Wood Burning Pyrography Kit– Best for Shape Embossing
This Hi-Spec is another Iron Wood Burning Toolkit that is equally suitable for pyrography and leather embossing. Its pyrography pen can heat up to 900 Fahrenheit, which means you can use it on all sorts of timber surfaces.
It comes with a long power cord and an iron stand so you can use it with convenience and safety.
- Included 9 copper marking stamps and 9 drawing tips
- Comes with a hot cutting blade— for precision plastic cutting
- Comes in a hard-case carrying box
Our rating: 88%
18. Number-one Wood Burning Kit 48Pcs- Best for Stencil Designs
This kit by number-one consists of a range of pyrography tips and stencils. The pyrography pen features an ABS plastic covering and features emission holes to facilitate better heat dissipation for ensuring consistent performance.
The 60-watt heating element can heat up to 950 Fahrenheit.
- Feature an LCD temperature display
- Comes with 27 pyrography tips and 12 stencils
- Also works on PU leather
Our rating: 88%
If you are looking to buy separate soldering and pyrography sets, then consider buying this consolidated Kalawen wood burning tool kit. This kit has the highest number of pieces on our list. It comes with a range of soldering tips as well as solder suckers and removers.
Then, there are multitudes of wood-burning tips that are perfect for pyrography, shape stamping as well as leather and fabric embossing.
- Comes with heat-resistant gloves
- Works on leather and cardboard as well
- The pen features an adjustable temperature switch
Our rating: 88%
20. Ockered 52 PCS Wood Burning Kit- Best for DIY Projects
This 52-piece kit is another good option for carving, embossing, and soldering projects. The pen in the kit is lightweight and ergonomic. It features a high temperature-resistant protective covering that prevents overeating even after long, nonstop use.
This Ockered wood burning kit comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee and 24-month exchange warranty.
- Perfect for stencil cutting, soldering, hot stamping, and fabric embossing
- Operates at 15-60 watts
- Comes with a metal stand
Our rating: 85%
This assorted wood-burning Kit by SREMTCH has a 54-piece wood burning kit that includes 25 different types of wood-burning tips and five separate soldering tips. You also get a solder wire and a solder sucker (desoldering pump) to rectify the soldering mistakes in a streamlined manner.
The burning and soldering tips are made of iron with good thermal conductivity. Meanwhile, the high-end ceramic core offers quick and reliable heating.
- Features top-quality silicone sheath (covering)— non-slip, high-temperature resistant
- Comes in a leather carrying bag
- Widely variable mixed reviews by owners
- Also comes with stencils and a stand
Our rating: 80 %
Factors to Consider While Buying A Wood Burning Toolkit
Take care of the below factors if you are going to buy a wood-burning toolkit outside of this list.
Make sure that the pyrographic pen you buy is constructed for using different tips. Therefore, always go for kits with multiple pieces. When you have a burning wood pen with interchangeable tips, you can use it for various pyrographic techniques as well as for leather and fabric embossing.
Easy to Hold
The iron/pen should always have a lightweight and ergonomic design so you can use it without straining your fingers and palm.
Adjustable temperature control
The best woodburning irons are adjustable to raise and lower the heat of the gun. Wood varieties and specialized techniques require higher temperatures than others.
Iron or Chemical
Wood burning tools are either electrically-powered or use chemicals that need heat treatment. Chemical wood burning tools are easy to use and allow you to draw with more precision. In contrast, iron wood burning tools come with more variety.
Number of Pieces
If you want to buy a wood-burning tool for various uses, then always opt for kits with a large number of pieces. Wood-burning toolkits with more pieces mean you get more burning and soldering tips, stencils, tracing papers, and color pencils. Some kits also include desoldering pumps and even planks of woods for making designs.
How can a wood-burning tool be used as a soldering iron?
A wood-burning tool is essentially an iron. So, if you have soldering tips, you can use a wood-burning tool to solder metals and components on circuit boards.
Is chemical wood-burning reliable?
Yes, if you are using a good chemical wood burning tool and heating the drawn design to the right extent, you can get reliable and long-lasting pyrographic results.
How to use a wood-burning tool for leather embossing?
In a low-temperature setting, you can use a wood-burning tool for leather embossing.
Like working with anything super hot, the dangers of getting burned are a reality. Consequently, some precautionary measures will go a long way to preventing injuries or accidents.
- Make sure you are using a stand to rest your wood burner on if you are not holding it, and while doing a complete cooldown
- Protect your fingers and/or hand with an appropriate glove
- Consider securing the electrical cord to the tabletop or using a chord ‘guide’ gizmo to keep the electrical cord from tangling near the heat source
- Protect the tabletop surface from accidental contact by using a self-healing mat or a non-flammable covering
- Never use stained, treated or painted wood. Don’t use bonded wood products like MDF. (off-gassing can be quite toxic to your lungs) Only use raw natural wood
- Do not burn over a glue line or epoxy line (again, because of the fumes)
- Wear a safety mask to protect your lungs
- Keep your settings so that there is no smoke while you burn, if at all possible
- Keep a fan blowing away from your work to draw fumes away from you
- Turn off the burner every time you get up from the worktable
- Thoroughly cool the wood burner until it is cold before you try to change the tips
For entire hand protection
>>Check Price On Amazon<<
For fingertip protection where it matters
This product is waxless and gives a smudge-free line. It comes in red, white and grey
Some of the best tips and tutorials can be learned online by joining pyrography groups and clubs. Another great way to learn is to check out these great books and videos.
Great techniques to enlarge your artistry skillset.
75 mix and match designs and patterns
Stunning artistry is possible on leather
Stroke work and different tip uses:
Changing out tips and their uses:
Cleaning your wood burning wire tool:
An assorted wood-burning tool can make pyrography relatively easy and more wholesome at the same time. Also, their usability is not limited to just woodcraft. You can also use them as soldering irons, for leather embossing and precision cutting of plastic and form.
If you are looking for a reasonably-priced yet quality wood-burning tool, then Walnut Hollow Creative Versa with Versa Variable Temperature Control & 11 Points is an option worth considering. For lightweight chemical wood crafting, Aicazeron Professional Wood Burning Pen could be a good option. If you want an assorted set with a larger number of pieces, then go with Kalawen’s 106-piece toolkit.