Having an embroidery machine capable of making monogram designs on fabrics can allow you to get amazing results. With the best embroidery machine for monogramming in your arsenal, you can create beautiful monograms on all your favorite things from garments, tablecloths, handkerchiefs and even decorative embroidery pieces that you can hang on your wall.
The first thing you need to consider is if you want complete computerized programmed automation or if you want a less expensive, assisted-by-you machine.
Computer program software can be downloaded for the ultimate in complexity and customization, but you need a machine that will accept external digital programs.
Other computerized sewing machines have set fonts for monogramming, but they are limited to what is pre-programmed in the machine. These machines are also general-use sewing machines.
I’m going to assume you are not in the market for commercial monogramming machines-those are limited to all-day-long monogramming with heavy use.
Jump Ahead To:
If you are short of time, here are our top picks when it comes to the best embroidery machine for monogramming.
- PE550D Embroidery Machine by Brother <<My Top Recommendation for a Strictly Embroidery Machine
- PE800 Embroidery Machine by Brother <<Best Overall Machine
- 150-Stitch Computerized Sewing & Quilting Machine by Brother
- Renewed Computerized Sewing & Quilting Machine by Brother
- Singer Quantum Stylist 9960
Reviews of The Best Embroidery Machine For Monogramming
Whatever monogramming project you have in mind, you need a special machine to get the job done. You can either go for premium-quality all-purpose sewing machines or buy a machine specially built for monogramming. In this guide, I’ll give you reviews of my top picks for the best embroidery machines for monogramming to help you find the ideal product you can use.
I consulted several sewing machine repair shops and technicians and they all said the same thing: Nobody does sewing machine embroidery better than the Brother Company. I have to admit being surprised! I expected the same brands to excel at embroidery as they do in general sewing, quilting, leather or heavy duty sewing. Please read our in-depth articles on those machines. They are all quite different, and not every brand excels in every condition!
1. PE550D Embroidery Machine by Brother <<Overall Best Strictly Embroidery Machine
The PE550D Embroidery Machine by Brother is an exceptional entry on our list of the best embroidery machines for monogramming. This machine comes with a 4×4 embroidery area that has more than 120 built-in decorative designs, including 45 different Disney character designs. There are 9 different fonts for monogramming and personalization in two different languages.
The machine features a large and easy to see touchscreen control panel that makes it easier to select your desired patterns and monogram fonts in several ways. You can align the text at an angle or in curves, place text on multiple lines, and even customize the spacing between letters to suit your specific needs. It does NOT have general sewing use features. It is a designated embroidery only machine.
- Large 4-inch by 4-inch embroidery area
- Capable of complex designs
- You can import designs using a USB memory stick
- Monogram lettering fonts in English and Japanese
- Large touchscreen control panel
Our Rating: 99%
2. PE800 Embroidery Machine by Brother – Best Overall and Embroidery Machine
If you are looking for the best embroidery machine for monogramming that is dedicated to embroidery, the PE800 from Brother might be a suitable product to consider. The machine features a sizable LCD touchscreen display, which lets you see the designs on the screen before executing them. You can even change the colors of the design on the screen to see how it looks, so there is no guesswork involved.
A large embroidery area lets you take on a wide variety of tasks that can include unique creations. You have more space to combine and rotate your designs, and it even features a USB connection port that lets you import more designs. The built-in memory can store designs that you have used so you can redo them faster the next time.
- Large 5-inch by 7-inch embroidery area
- Large LCD touchscreen control panel
- 11 different lettering fonts
- Extensive capacity to edit designs
Our Rating: 97%
The SQ9285 150-Stitch Computerized Sewing & Quilting Machine is an ideal product to begin the list of the best embroidery machines for monogramming. A product by Brother, you can rest assured that the top brand in the business is behind this machine. It is a feature-rich sewing machine that has computerized capability to take on various sewing tasks.
It also boasts 55 basic monogramming stitching patterns that you can use for various designs. It has a wide table that makes the product suitable for a wide variety of applications, from quilting to decorative stitches on different fabrics. Accuracy is never going to be an issue with this machine due to the LED-lit work area. An LCD display makes it easier for you to select the desired stitch pattern, and it allows you to adjust the stitch length and width to your requirements.
- 150 built-in stitches that include 55 monogram patterns
- Automated needle threader to help you get to work with just the touch of a lever
- Wide table to support quilts and other larger projects
- Drop-feed for free-motion sewing and quilting
- Monogram font size is limited
Our Rating: 96%
The second product on our list of the best embroidery machine for monogramming is the XR3340 Renewed Computerized Sewing & Quilting Machine by Brother. A close relative of the SQ9285, this Brother sewing machine comes with 140 unique built-in stitching patterns and 55 alphanumeric sewing stitches.
An extra-large LCD backlit display makes it easier for you to select the various stitching patterns and adjust the length and width of your stitches. This machine is also capable of regular stitching applications with over 190 sewing stitches pre-programmed in the machine. You can also add customized details to your creations with the 55 alphanumeric stitches and satin stitches.
- Features a wide extension table for larger projects
- Has an exceptional feed system for multiple layers and over seams
- Automatic needle threading system that works with the lever on the side of the machine
- Precise needle placement for when you are pivoting corners on the project
Our Rating: 95%
This is the machine that Santa brought me for Christmas last year. It was a budget priced machine, but I truly am amazed at it’s versatility and offerings. The ability to monogram is limited to adjacent letters, so designing something in a custom shape like an oval, is not possible. But for a side-by-side monogramming, this machine impresses me. You can program several letters and it will automatically space them apart and stitch them.
- 600 Stitches
- 5 fonts
- Tons of accessories
- Extension table included
- Heavy duty metal interior frame
Our Rating: 95%
Things to Consider When Buying the Best Embroidery Machine for Monogramming
Type of Machine
When you’re choosing an embroidery machine, you need to consider what type of machine you need. Do you want something purely dedicated to monogramming (which means your best bet would be a commercial machine) or do you require an all-in-one machine that can perform a variety of tasks.
The next decision is :
- Do you want to spring for a higher price point and get a machine that can accept complex digital programmed designs from a USB device or
- Are you content to alter pre-loaded designs in the machine
- Do you want simple monogram fonts that will be limited to side-by-side straight line embroider?
This is a question that can be a primary differentiator in your choice of product.
How Will You Use It?
When you’re purchasing a machine, you need to know the purpose of the machine before you select a product. If you want a machine for home use, you need to select one with basic features. You might not need to spend heavily to get an industrial-grade machine. However, if you plan on taking on commercial projects and require a lot of production capacity, you’ll need to shop at a sewing machine supplier for commercial, industrial-grade machines in your area.
The Size of Monogramming You Prefer
Different embroidery machines have hoops in different sizes. There are standard sizes and a larger one. If you want a monogramming pattern, you would be better off with a machine that has a larger embroidery area or hoops. If you want to make smaller monograms, you can get any monogramming embroidery machine with a standard embroidery area.
Generally, you can find sewing machines with the most basic features and specifications. The best embroidery machines for monogramming come with a wide set of additional features, like programmable stitching, touch screen control panels, and LED-lit working areas. When you are considering additional features, you have to think about going for a machine that fulfills your requirements and makes it easier for you to make monogramming patterns.
There are plenty of sewing machines in the market. The best embroidery machines for monogramming are filled with features suited to making intricate patterns in various sizes. I’ve found the machines made by Brother to be the best in the market, but the choice is ultimately yours.
Between the reviews of our top picks and the buying guide, we are confident that you can find the best embroidery machine for monogramming that fits your needs perfectly.
FAQs for the Best Embroidery Machine for Monogramming
In this section of the guide, we will answer some of the most common questions people have regarding embroidery machines for monogramming. It can help you find more useful information in your search for the ideal product.
Q. What is monogramming?
- Monogramming is essentially a process of interlacing threads to form intricate alphabets, numbers, and patterns using embroidery. You can see monogramming done in various objects made with fabric, including bags, towels, handkerchiefs, caps, and much more. It is a fantastic way to weave excellent designs to personalize objects of your choice.
Q. Do you need a specialized machine for monogramming projects?
- While many people might believe it is better to go for a specialized machine, you don’t necessarily need to pick a monogramming embroidery machine. Sewing machines in the market are built to handle a wide variety of tasks. Some machines happen to be better than others when it comes to various tasks.
I chose the products in this guide because they are exceptionally good when it comes to making embroidered monogramming patterns. There are high-end machines that can perform regular stitching and monogramming tasks with equal efficiency and precision. Some machines offer a fleet of monogramming options with other basic requirements that qualify them as specialized machines.
Q. Is computerized embroidery better?
- The short answer is, yes. Embroidery machines that have computer-guided patterns are far more accurate and consistent in providing results compared to those that require completely manual control. You can use a computerized embroidery machine to make pre-programmed monogramming patterns on several objects in a shorter amount of time and with no issues of two pieces being different from each other.
Q. Can I do commercial work with the best embroidery machine for monogramming?
- Commercial work is indeed possible with embroidery machines. You’ll have to decide if the wear and tear on your general use machine is worth the cost savings of buying a commercial-grade machine though! Often the price of repairing a general use machine exceeds the price of purchasing a new one! Please read my thorough analysis of this here.